Treatment Details - Reduction of Dark Circles
What are dark circles?
Dark circles contrary to popular belief, are not a result of tiredness or fatigue, in fact, they are caused by the hollowing of the under eye area, which in turn causes dark shadows to cast.
Other reasons why dark circles might appear include:
What can we do to improve the appearance of these dark circles?
- Hereditary factors: some people are genetically predisposed to having hyper-pigmentation under the eyes. This is particularly common among people with African or Asian skin types.
- Health factors: diet, sun exposure, sleeping patterns or smoking can be contributing factors to the development of hyper-pigmentation under the eyes.
- Ageing: As we mentioned before, one of the main causes of dark circles is the loss of volume under the eye are which causes a hollowing. As we age our faces tend to lose volume, elasticity, and collagen, creating pronounced hollowed areas around the face. One of the most commonly affected areas is the periorbital area (under eye).
- Orbital fat prolapse: Many people suffer from excess fat or tissue around the under eye area. This issue can contribute to the appearance of dark circles, as the excess fat or tissue overhanging the skin causes the casting of shadows.
- Allergies: Can be a contributor to the appearance of dark circles under the eyes as congestion or poor circulation to the lower eyelid can cause the veins around that area to enlarge and become darker.
There are several ways to minimise or remove the appearance of dark circles. If the dark circles are as results of health factors, allergies or skin pigmentation, over the counter remedies, change of diet or creams and makeup can help conceal and improve their appearance.
However, if your dark circles are caused by the hollowing of the skin, loss of volume in the area or are due to orbital fat prolapse, you might need other types of treatments such as:
- Tear through dermal fillers: consists of an injectable treatment to plump and add volume to the hollowed areas of the face responsible for creating the shadows. The gel injected is hyaluronic acid a component naturally present in our bodies that helps hydrate the skin and can add volume to several areas of the face. The results are younger and fresher looking skin and last from 9 months to one year.
- PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy), also known as “Vampire Facelift” uses a small amount of blood from the patient. The blood is then centrifuged in order to separate the platelets and plasma from the red blood cells and other particles, thereafter the blood is injected into the patient's skin. PRP is a treatment ideal to rejuvenate the skin and reduce the appearance of dark circle as it encourages the natural production of collagen of the body to plump and adds volume to the skin.
- Blepharoplasty: If you suffer from under eye bags or hooded eyelids that contribute to the creation of dark circles, blepharoplasty may be the best option for you. Blepharoplasty is a surgical procedure that consists of removing the excess fat or skin around the eye area. This procedure tightens and lifts the skin around the eyes to reveal a younger and smoother looking appearance.
Learn more about our services by calling us today!
- Time: Mon - Sat / 11:00am - 9:00pm
- Duration: Depends on type of treatment